After reading my FB post yesterday, a client who has her own healing business emailed, wondering how to get more clients. She’s been feeling the bite of Mercury Retrograde with business being very slow.
There’s no way around these slow times and even when we anticipate by tucking away $$, shit happens. September was a great month for Shivaya Wellness but I had to pay a big bill that depleted my savings. I knew this in advance and expected clients to flow in like they have (this is my best year to date) — but guess what? October so far has been dead, dead, dead.
Like I said, these things happen when you’re an entrepreneur — and if you hear differently from the Woo Agers, they are either lying, painting a rosy picture or have much better manifesting skills than me.
You can still attract clients, even when it seems like you’ll never do another session again (or dream of a regular job w/a steady paycheck). How?
1. Imagine the exact type of client you wish to serve. Yes, you can do this and no, you do not have to read/serve everyone who comes to your door. Just because you’re a healer doesn’t mean you can’t say NO. And never, never, never take a client/gig just to hustle cash. It needs to be the right fit or you may regret that choice.
2. Decide how much you’d like to work that week/month. I always joke that I work a 10 hour week or less, but that is my ideal. I love having time to create and write. However, I enjoy working with my clients and it balances the isolation of the artist’s life. I’m a self-made woman and don’t have an extra job or partner who shares the bills. The full responsibility of my business is on me, so that means extra hours/gigs when needed.
3. Don’t blame yourself. These dry times can be scary but trust and know that the tide will turn. If it makes you feel better, check out the debt load of huge corporations. Everyone has bills to pay and it doesn’t mean you’re doing something wrong if you don’t have many clients right now. They may be going through a tight period, too.
4. Ask yourself whether you really want to do this work. Maybe there’s a part of you that wishes to move on to other things. I know that I won’t always be working as a healer/reader once my books take off (or I meet a sugar Mama). When my business goes through difficult times, I’m tempted to walk away. However, I know that I’ll never be able to work for a boss again. I’m the boss!
5. It’s all about time and timing. It’s taking me years to build a client base and thousands of readings. If every one of my clients returned, I’d have a booked calendar to 2025. However, that’s not the way it works. With Tarot/healing, a fresh flow of energy is required to keep my interest and the business thriving. I have many wonderful long-term clients who book every few months or so but still need a circle of new clients to keep it all going. Why? Readers and clients outgrow each other.
6. Do magic and observe Nature. I don’t get angry at Nature when she goes through her cycles of birth, blossoming, harvest and death. Why should I get mad over that same cycle in my business? Of course I’d want a constant flow of money, clients and everything to be grand. But life and running a small business doesn’t work like that. When I feel stuck, I do lots of magical practices — including candle magic to remind myself that energy always flows and I can do with it what I will. Find your practice. It helps! <3